Friday, October 14, 2011

Things that make me smile.

The past couple weeks I've felt myself sinking again, despite a wonderful weekend getaway with my friends, progress being made on my house, and a relatively easy retail job. I feel like things are looking up, but for whatever reason I am struggling to feel anything but hollow and disconnected. Sometimes I feel destructive, too, but that's not exactly lending anything helpful to the situation.

I thought I'd write about some things that make me smile, as a reminder to myself that there ARE things out there that are good and happy-making.  They may be little things, but isn't a day pretty much built on the filler we call "little things"? If every instant consisted of major events I think we'd all be insane. So here's to the little things...

  • When someone in line in front of me hands me a coupon that they hadn't been able to use.
  • When I'm trying to pull out onto a busy street and someone leaves a gap so I can get out.
  • Or even better, when I have to make a left turn onto a typically busy street--and there's no traffic.
  • When I hear from a friend I haven't heard from in a while, even if it's just a text or a "Hey" on Facebook, or a link to an article they think I might like.
  • Days when the weather is *perfect* and I'm actually able to enjoy it. Even if it's just for a little while.
  • Hearing a kid laughing. Extra points if it's because their parents are goofing around with them and don't care if it makes them look stupid in public.
  • Meeting random people with a sense of humor, who appreciate yours.
  • Being complimented in a random (but non-creepy) way by strangers.
  • That first drink of soda after you haven't had one for a while. Even when for me, "for a while" is just a day or two.
  • When "Bohemian Rhapsody" comes on the radio. 
There's some of mine... What makes you smile?

No comments :

Post a Comment